WD 7197 SCSI on potato?

Dear List, I have just purchased an IBM 315 server, which is intended to
be used as an Internet server running Debian.
I have tried to install with the 'frozen' disk set, but am unable to
properly detect my SCSI interface which is a WD-7197.
The boot messages give: failed init WD-7000 (amongst other messages of
the type: on Adaptec found)
I assume this can mean either of two:

- Linux recognises my card as WD-7000 family and fails to initiate it.
  That would probably mean playing about with PnP settings on server and
  adapter, or things like that.
- Linux does know the 7000 and not the 7197 in which case I am out of
  luck.

The 'Hardware compatibility howto' lists only WD-7000. I am not sure if
my card is included. Did anyone have any success with a WD-7197?

Thanks a lot.

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>