Offtopic: html gurus ... is <br /> valid ?

<OFFTOPIC>

Surfed over to salon.com with the links browser and <br /> showed up all
over the place. So I looked at the source, and sure enough, there was
supposed to ignore tags they don't understand -- which links is clearly
not doing -- but what on earth could be the purpose of such a thing?

shorthand <br>..</> wouldn't be legal...

Ouch, just noticed </li>'s.  Those aren't needed either are they? There
isn't even an environment for the <li> tags!

Netscape renders this stuff fine -- must be exceedingly tolerant.

</OFFTOPIC>

--
#! /bin/sh
echo 'Linux Must Die!' | wall