Re: [OT] linux w/mac client ok: linux w/windows client ugh--?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:35:08PM +1200, C. Falconer wrote:
> The easy answer is to remove dialup networking from her computer.
>
> This is because brain-dead MS software can't be told to set the ethernet
> card as the primary default route - instead it believes that 192.168.0.0/16
> is out the ethernet, but the default for anything else should be out the
> modem.

done.

yet her browser is STILL very slow on the uptake. (sometimes
'you have no internet connection' other times just a spinning
IE logo with a blank window.) she says it's only after several
hours of 'off' time, say, on the first boot-up of her day.

yet my mac connection, using the same linux setup, goes great guns.
(occasionally i see evidence of constipated network--and pressing
a browser reload usually does the trick.)

mac is 192.168.1.100, win is 192.168.1.200, everything else
(from the perspective of the linux box at 192.168.1.1) is
equal.

similar to the service offered at http://grc.com/ ?