Re: SGML beginners question

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 12:03:44PM +1000, Shao Zhang wrote
> Hi,
> 	Recently, I have read a lot about SGML. It gives me the
> 	impression that it is very hard to learn and very very
> 	powerfull.
>
> 	However, I still don't have a clue that in what circumstances I
> 	should use SGML instead of others. Should I write a thesis
> 	report in SGML or LaTeX? Would it be idea for a general document
> 	that one would normally write in Word?
>
> 	Thanks for any help in advance.

I use SGML for two reasons:
  - For documents where I want to maintain a single source but want
    to produce a range of output formats (e.g. .html, .ps, .rtf, .dvi)
  - For the sheer joy of using psgml so I don't have to memorise a
    document grammar.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au