APM: Poweroff actually does a reboot

Hi,
I have a PC with APM support at home. I've installed Debian (Potato) onto it
and built my own kernel with APM support compiled in (I needed to build my
own to add the APM real mode calls option, as the default kernel crashes on
a poweroff call).

Now, I can successfully shut down, but the "poweroff" command shuts down to
power off mode, and then immediately reboots instead of switching the power
off. Is this a known/common problem (I vaguely recall having a similar
problem on this PC with Win98, before I removed it, and I have also had the
same problem on a laptop running Windows NT).

Is it a BIOS configuration thing, or is it something in the kernel options I
need to change? Or do I need a BIOS upgrade (it's some version of a Phoenix
BIOS, and the suppliers don't do downloadable upgrades :-( and the prople
who supplied the PC are refusing to admit that there's an issue as "we don't
support Linux" :-( :-()

Thanks for any help,
Paul.