RE: Get install to Recognize Hard Drive [attached to Promise Ultra 66]

This may not be of much help to you but here is my experience...

I have a Promise Technology Ultra 66 IDE controller card as a second
IDE controller on this machine (the first is the motherboard's old
built-in controller).

In order to get the kernel to recognize this new Promise Ultra 66 card
I had to upgrade the linux kernel to a Patched version of 2.2.15. I
believe it is the package `kernel-image-2.2.15-ide` in the dselect
menu. (You might also need the pcmcia-module-2.2.15-ide package that
goes with the kernel...).

Perhaps the kernel on the boot floppy you are using (are you booting
from floppy?) is not the proper version to recognize the Promise
Ultra 66 IDE controller?

Can you view the messages the kernel displays to the console during
boot-up? (or are able to use `dmesg` after booting)

Are messages recognizing the Promise Ultra 66 IDE controller card
displayed during the boot-up?

I think maybe you will need to obtain (or make) a boot floppy
containing the 2.2.15-ide kernel image (e.g. a floppy that has the
Promise Ultra 66 patch).

I do not know how to do that.

Hope this helps.

	-jbb