Re: email program for newbie

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 05:20:10PM -0700, marshall paul wrote
> Hi,
>
> 	I have been plodding through the Debian woods, taking one thing at a
> time and eventually getting small successes.  However, I am tired and
> would like to set up email for a dialup single user machine.  Would
> someone recommend a mail program to start out with?  (There is just a
> bewildering amount of variety when one is new to Linux and it has taken
> _weeks_ to configure X.  OK, I can surf, now, but I want email, too.)

If you just want the same kind of direct access to your ISP POP
account as you'd get with Windows, you can use either Netscape
Messenger (part of the various Communicator releases), or
XFMail.  There are many other (arguably better) mailers out
there (my favourite is Mutt), but these two are most like what
you'ld be used to, with a minimum of extra bells and whistles to
obscure the issue.

In the longer term, something like exim + fetchmail + mutt +
some configuration would give you greater flexibility and better
integration of local mail with internet mail.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au