Re: dependencies rpoblem

jpb <jpb@creol.ucf.edu> writes:

> postfix was designed from the beginning with security in mind.  And it's
> easier to configure than sendmail or qmail.

Periodically I begin to believe in such statements only to after the
installation each time find myself desperately searching up and down
the docs and list archives after a solution to this problem:

using a dialup connection, I have a different user name at my ISP (a
number/character combination) as my user name on my linux system at
home (I am really the only one or is it so that all other people like
me don't try to use postfix?). How can I convince postfix to rewrite
my From: address not only to a different hostname (this one I found
in the docs), but also to a different username. (Maybe the problem is
that I don't really understand the mail admin jargon).

With qmail this is as simple as setting the environment variable
QMAILUSER in the .bash_profile. (The only reason I abandonned qmail
was that it doesn't support SMTP on dialup connections.)

I never found someone who could answer this question -- maybe this
time I have more luck?

Greetings,
joachim