Re: apt-get & kernel question

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 09:08:29AM -0500, Dean wrote:
> Hi:
>    I recently upgraded to potato and decided to upgrade kernel to 2.2.15
>
> same time. Everything went smoothly except I no longer have ppp
> in the kernel. I still have the old kernel to boot to which has ppp.

  You sure it's not available? Look for /lib/modules/2.2.15/net/ppp.o .
  I'm thinking ppp should be available with the stock kernel (since you
  can install Debian with 5 floppies and a dialup line).

> My question is if I use the old kernel to apt-get something, will
> this put whatever I install in the wrong place or doesn't the kernel
> matter as far as where the packages go?  Tia    Dean

  Matters not a whit.  However, a few packages may care which series of
  kernel you're running.

--
#! /bin/sh
echo 'Linux Must Die!' | wall