/dev/snd is symlinked to nonexistant file

My sound mysteriously quit working the other day and I believe I found the
problem.  /dev/snd is symlinked to a some sort of ALSA dev file which
doesn't even exist. I think I can get sound working again if I delete it
and replace it with a device file. How is that to be done. I don't know
the command to make a device. Oh and if you don't think simply replacing
it will work then please shed some light on me.
					Thanks,
					Adam S Edgar