Re: please help test debian frozen

Joey Hess wrote:

> [ This is not an official announcement of the Debian project, just a
> Debian developer speaking up with his personal opinion. ]
>
> Debian is now well into its second test cycle for the "potato" (2.2)
> release of Debian. Now is an excellent time to help us test the
> distribution. Frozen is quite stable now; we are only making small
> changes to it every 2 weeks or so, mainly security fixes. As such, it is
> now almost as stable as stable.
>
> And of course, it is much more up-to-date, with many enhancements,
> additions, and bugfixes. At this point, in my opinion, there is no reason
> to use Debian stable except for absolutely mission critical applications.
> For exerything else, frozen is a great choice. (Put stable on your mars
> lander; use frozen in mission control ;-).
>
> So I'm writing to encourage people to upgrade to frozen, and if you can,
> do new installs with frozen. Every report we receive of another clean
> upgrade/install makes us that much more likely to release soon. So if
> you upgrade or install frozen, post a report to the mailing list
> <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. Describe how you upgraded or installed.
> If everything went perfectly, say so; If there were some problems, do your
> best to describe them, and any relevant information about your system.
>
> Release notes for potato are here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/
>
> For fresh installs, an install guide is here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/install
>
> For upgrades:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
>
> CD images are here:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/potato_pre.html
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> see shy jo
>
> --

Yes, but where should we report our experiences.
2 weeks ago I installed potato on my box from scratch: I the boot images and the base
system through ftp and continued with apt-get. As far as I remember there were only
one severe problem. The loopback-device was not configured from start. So it took me
some time to figure out why half of my net-related software would not work and where
net-devices are generally configured in potato. For the rest potato is great.

mfg,
Dietmar