How to rebuild from .deb sources (exim)

Debian's default exim package does not have perl enabled.  I want to
enable it, so I figured this would be a good time to use the source.

I'm writing for two reasons: first, I'm a little unclear what exactly
I should do once I succeed in rebuilding; second, I'm having some
trouble getting the package to build.

On the first point: is the proper procedure actually to build a new
deb package and then install it over the existing one?  How exactly do
I do that?  And how do I avoid trouble when a new version of the
package comes out?

I think this is partly a question about what version number to assign
the package.  I also don't see where to assign such a number.

Also, I'm used to using apt-get or dselect to do my upgrades.  Do I do
a dpkg --install with my new .deb?

Or is this overkill, so that I could, for example, just drop the new
binary in over the old one, without doing any of the packaging stuff?

Second, on the specifics of building the package: I did apt-get source
and then tried debuild.  This failed because I didn't have
libpcre2-dev installed (i.e., pcre.h was not found).  I've fixed that,
but am still getting errors.  I switched to debian/rules build from
the top directory to simplify things and also commented out the rules
line which does mkdir Local (it was failing since the directory now
exists).

The make chugs along happily for awhile, but then I get
gcc -c -O2 -g -Wall -I/usr/include/db1  plaintext.c
/bin/rm -f auths.a
ar cq auths.a b64encode.o b64decode.o call_pam.o xtextencode.o xtextdecode.o get_data.o md5.o cram_md5.o plaintext.o
ranlib auths.a
/bin/rm -rf ../drtables.o
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/exim-3.12/build-Linux-i386/auths'

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `lookups/lookups.a', needed by `exim'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/exim-3.12/build-Linux-i386'
make[1]: *** [go] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/exim-3.12'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?  The complaint is especially
weird since it just build auths.a.

I'm running as an ordinary user on a current potato system.  I got
most of task-devel, though I recall I did skip a few packages that
seemed unnecessary.

P.S. Can anyone tell me what the story is with /etc/email-address,
which I just noticed while poking around the source?  I didn't notice
any mention of it in the docs.  Does it work?  Does it affect only
mail heading to remote systesm?

Here's email-address:
# This file contains email addresses to use for outgoing mail. Any local
# part not in here will be qualified by the system domain as normal.
#
# It should contain lines of the form:
#
#user: someone@isp.com