Re: Load sharing network

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 neutec@debiandomain.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Im running potato with kernel 2.2.15. I have three nic card
> installed(two for DSL connection and the other for Lan connection). I
> want to load balance between the two DSL lines. And if one connection
> fails the network switches over to the other connection. Where can I
> get information on this. I cant find anything in the Howto's.
>
> Thanks

You can get outbound link equalisation with the sch_teql module.  you'll
need the iproute2+tc utilities to configure it.

i've attached a my kernel config with network options set up to be able to
use the teql scheduler.

once you've built the kernel, use modconf to add the sch_teql module.

change default route to both interfaces:

ip route change default scope global nexthop via x.x.x.x dev eth0 \
  nexthop via y.y.y.y dev eth1

add both interfaces to the same teql queue.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root teql0
tc qdisc add dev eth1 root teql0

ountbound traffic should now be balanced.  there's very little
documentation for this scheduler, but from what i can understand this does
it.  find the source for the module in the kernel tree for what docs there
do exist, in the comments.

-tl

          who's watching your watchmen?
gpg: pub 1024D/81FD4B43 sub 4096g/BB6D2B11=>p.nu/d
2B72 53DB 8104 2041 BDB4  F053 4AE5 01DF 81FD 4B43