From: "Sven Burgener" <svenb@bluewin.ch>
To: "Debian Users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2000 12:54 AM
Subject: reorganizing disks

Hello Debians

I want to move a whole debian install from one disk onto another. The second
(new disk) is larger than the one debian is on right now:

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 131 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             1         1      8001   83  Linux
/dev/sda2             2         7     48195   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3             8       131    996030   83  Linux

Disk /dev/hdb: 16 heads, 51 sectors, 1010 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 816 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1        48     19558+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2            49       192     58752   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3           193      1010    333744   83  Linux

The SCSI disk is where I want to "move" debian. Is it correct that I can do
that simply with the following:

# dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/sda

My questions are as follows:
Is that really all and is it possible?
Will I then be able to create more partitions on the new disk for the space
that is left?
How much adjusting will need to be done for the "new" debian to boot up
fine? (/etc/fstab and/or what?)