Re: Additional Terminals

Sven Burgener <maillists@bluewin.ch> writes:
SB> How does one set up more than the default six terminals on a i386
SB> potato machine?

You need to add additional getty entries to /etc/inittab, and tell
init to notice ('telinit q' as root works well here).  You also need
to make sure that your X server and a getty don't try to use the same
virtual console, or else it's Really Bad (TM) (as in, your system is
unusable if you can't log in remotely or through a dumb terminal or
something like that); check your X display manager's configuration
file for details, and be really careful when upgrading.

(ObGrr: I think it's annoying that gdm has vt07 hardcoded in its
config file, since this causes this sort of lossage if I'm using
vt01...vt09 as text terminals and I go ahead and tell dpkg to replace
gdm.conf.  Sigh.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell