Re: How to enable some specify users to run pon and poff?

Nate writes:
> I found the user needed to be added to both groups, dip and dialout.

Then your system is somehow misconfigured.  Pppd should run as root when
opening the serial port: the user should not need permissions on it.

> usermod -G 20,30 username

> is your friend here.

'adduser username groupname' is a much friendlier friend.

> Read the man page carefully as any group the user is currently a member
> of will be removed if not included in the command to add the user to the
> new group(s).

A good reason for using the adduser front-end to useradd.

The version of pppconfig in unstable takes care of adding users to dip.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)