Problems with PCI modem.

	I've bought computer parts through compuplus and built a computer
for me.  I have, in my opinion, a weird problem.

	Modem is (from output of lspci -v) "Serial controller: US
Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com USR 56k Internal Voice Modem (Model 2976)
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
I/O ports at d400
.

	Modem works "fine" under MS Windows '98 (always getting 26400
connection to my current ISP and I tried just to connect to other places,
but CONNECT message wasn't never worse, never better than 26400).  But it
works (I can connect to, let's say www.debian.org and see their page).

	In Linux though, the modem connects to my ISP, gets the local and
remote IP number (through PAP), but after that I can ping just my assigned
local IP number, but remote number is not responding.  I have to mention
that in configuration I use modem (as /dev/modem), so when I borrowed
external modem, connected it to my 9-pin COM port, link /dev/modem to ttyS0,
the connection worked just fine.

	Since the modem is internal, I have to activate it by running
setserial (non-standard port).  Maybe there is the weakness.  The last
command I tried was:
setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550 port 0xd400 irq 9 baud_base 115200 spd_hi
.

	I tried many things, like assigning ISA to IRQ 9 in BIOS, therefore
assigning IRQ like 5 or 7 to modem card.  I tried to play with setserial
command, like using 16550A instead of 16550, not mentioning baud_base and
spd_hi, trying to connect on 57600 to modem (it's set on 115200 in MS
Windows).  I am running out of ideas

	Do you have any experience with internal non-lin/win-modems or do
you have any suggestions or proposals?  Help would be greatly appreciated.

						Peter.

P.S.1:	Please CC to me as well, I am not subscribed to this mailing list.
P.S.2:	In case you think output of ppp.log or whole lspci -v or something
	else would help, please, just let me know.  The motherboard is SD11
	with AMD-751 system controller and AGP bridge. Athlon 650 MHz. SB
	128 (Ensoniq ES1371). 3Dfx Voodoo3 3000 AGP.