dhcpd 0.70-5 Incompatible with RR in Raleigh, NC?

While I am a newbie in regards to the naming conventions of Debian, I have been using it for about a year now with excellent success. I have had so much success that I upgraded from my 486 "learning box" to a dual Celeron motherboard (ABIT BP6), 30 gig disk, 10BASE-T 3COM NIC on (cable modem side), 10/100BASE-T Linksys NIC (on internal side) etc. Despite recently moving close to Redhat HQ, I have chosen to stay with Debian.

I subscribed to RoadRunner in Raleigh, NC and found out that the dhcpd I have installed (version 0.70-5) absolutely refuses to acquire an address. I have tried the switches to put it in RFC 1541 compatibility mode, to provide the host name, etc. but have been totally unsuccessful.

When I would try to start DHCP, I would get the following errors in /var/log/syslog:

dhcpcd[1311]: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR (ifConfig): Operation not supported by device
dhcpcd[1328]: sendto (init): Operation not permitted

I have perused the dhcp-mini-howto as well as DHCP sites and found another dhcpd which is dhcpcd-1.3.18-pl8 which appears to operate just fine. I found it at <ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/network/daemons/dhcpcd-1.3.18-pl8.tar.gz>

I don't know if I'm running slink or potato or whatever, but here is the output of uname -a:

Linux vortex 2.0.36 #2 Sun Feb 21 15:55:27 EST 1999 i686 unknown

I don't know whether this is a problem with RR's DHCP server or a basic incompatibility or whatever. I have heard occasional mentions that dhcpd does not like multiple NICs, but if that's the case, how come I can put the interface name in the dhcpd configuration file? If it is a bug, I would appreciate it if someone would guide me on how to submit this into the Debian bug list.

If there is something I can do to make the dhcpd in the standard Debian distribution work, please let me know.

Thanks.

-Dave Slotter
--
<mailto:dave@slotter.org>                <http://www.slotter.org/dave/>
Key fingerprint =  65 C2 09 E0 FA 66 38 4F  FE 4E 8B E2 4A 1C 53 03