LILO and 2 disks

Hi *!

Does anybody know a checked way to do the following?

hda1 and hdb1 have the same files structure. hdb1 is mounted under /mnt
How to make LILO boot after removing hda completly and connecting hdb as
primary master (so it becomes hda)?
I know I can make a boot floppy, switch disks, boot from floppy and then run
"lilo", but is there a way to make without the floppy? I tried

cd /mnt
sbin/lilo -r /mnt -b /dev/hdb1

But that complained about hdb (or hdb1 - I don't remember now) not being on
the first disk and did not work - I got

LI 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ......

after reboot.

thanks in advance