Re: [OT] linux w/mac client ok: linux w/windows client ugh--?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 11:31:31PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:

> window we try 'ping pacific.net.au' just for fun,
> and the linux nameserver correctly looks it up and
> the pings march across the screen. (this is from her

as you said: her setup is okay

> explorer all refuse to cooperate for minutes on
> end. after quitting/relaunching or stopping/reloading
> a webpage finally comes up and then all is well.

ok. i have to deal with this everyday... on the internet preferences you
have to tell windows to get on the internet via a LAN (maybe you did so
already, don't worry). even then, windows won't understand it, maybe it is
trying to connect via a DIP? if you have any DIP connections defined, erase
them. if you need them, then re-create them with different names.

just a guess, but maybe at some point you configured that machine to connect
to the internet via DIP, now windows won't understand you want to change
that. anyway, in the multiple cases customers call to tell us "your internet
won't work" this fixes the problem (and makes me waste around 15 mins of my
time).

hope that helps

alberto

ps. what microwave technology are you using to access the internet?