Re: Strange message - eth0: too much work in el3_rx

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 03:13:44PM +0100, Moore, Paul wrote:
> I'm getting strange messages on the console of my Debian machine, namely

>     eth0: too much work in el3_rx

> Can anyone give me any hints as to (a) what it means, (b) whether it
> indicates a problem, and(c) how to get rid of it (as it corrupts my working
> screen).

It probably means that there's a hard limit on how much data can be at a
given stage of processing in your ethernet driver that's getting
overflowed.  Everything should continue to work fine, although network
performance won't be as good as it should be.  Looking in the kernel
source should reveal the exact reason for the message.

As far as stopping the message goes, stop syslog dumping things to console.
The message will still be produced, but not to screen.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/