Re: FW: IMAP + QMAIL

Did you make sure to compile courier-imap with PAM support? I don't remember
from when I compiled it but you probably have to specify this. This is what I'm
using. Your AUTHMODULES should contain authpam. It would seem that authshadow
should've worked but it wouldn't if you're using md5 passwords (this is
specified when you install the box). Once you've got authpam in there you'll
need to add an /etc/pam.d/imap file if it doesn't exist. Mine is just:

auth    required    pam_unix_auth.so shadow nullok
account    required    pam_unix_acct.so
session    required    pam_unix_session.so

Give that a try. If you want to test in a more controlled way you can telnet to
the server and talk IMAPV41 directly. Telnet to it from the machine it's running
on with: telnet localhost 143. You'll get a response like:

* OK Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2000 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING
for distribution information.

Now, as for the basics, each IMAP command is tagged so the first token just
needs to be some tag. The command we want to test is the 'login' command which
takes the login name and password as extra tokens. So, you'll type in:

1 login <user> <password>

and if all is good you'll get the response:

1 OK LOGIN Ok.

But if the authentication fails you'll get back:

1 NO Login failed.

This will tell you if it's really working or not since with Outlook you never
know what the !@#$ it's doing.

You can then just logout with:

2 logout

Try these things out and let me know.