Re: System with 2 hard-drives

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 12:27:11AM -0400, S. Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I just bought a second HD for my home system, a Maxtor 15.3 Gb 7200 RPM
> HD w/2Mb cache. I formatted this second HD and just to test it out
> installed slink.
>
> On the first HD, I am using the Windows NT boot loader to boot b/w
> Win95, WinNT and Debian "woody". So I thought that I would be able to
> use the following trick to boot this newly installed copy of slink from
> the *second* HD:
>
>   dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=debian21.lnx bs=512 count=1; mcopy debian21.lnx a:
>   [boot using a windows boot disk]
>   [modify c:\boot.ini to add a new entry for the new OS]
>   copy a:\debian21.lnx c:\
>   [reboot, and select the new OS]

I'm having trouble understanding this, but, um, you're linux fits on
a floppy??

> this technique has worked flawlessly for me when I was installing
> different linux distros on the first HD. However, when I tried it this
> time with the new install of slink on the second HD, selecting the new
> entry I made for slink from the WinNT boot loader didn't work: all I got
> was a bunch of 1s and 0s!!
>
> I am guessing this has sth to do with WinNT's boot loader and the fact
> that this new install of slink is on the second HD.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to get my linux installations on the
> second HD to boot using the WinNT boot loader ?

I am not familiar with NT's bootloader, but if it can do a chainload
style boot like grub or lilo does then you sould be ok.

1)  Install lilo or preferably grub on the mbr of the second disk,
and configure to boot linux on second disk (you should also be able
to configure it to boot everything else).

2)  Boot to NT bootloader (after configuring it to boot up second
drive) and boot second drive.

3)  Boot linux from grub on second drive.

4)  Fall in love with grub and install it on first disk.

5)  Turn on virus protection in bios so NT (or anything else) cannot
rewrite the mbr.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
                -- Albert Einstein