fetchmail question (newbie)

Hi there,

I've installed fetchmail on my system and created a .fetchmailrc file in
my home directory.  Everything works fine and now I want to automate the
download job.

The situation is the following: I am poor student in German :) and only
connect once or twice a day to the internet to download my mail and
occasionally to do some surfing.

So I thought of placing a script with `fetchmail -d 300` into the
/etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory and a script with `fetchmail -q` into the
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d directory.  The problem is that those scripts are
executed as root, so I need to put the .fetchmailrc file into the root
directory.  Although this is a one-user system, this is undesirable,
because I like to keep everything in my home directory and because it
won't be a one-user system for long.

Another option would be writing a pon wrapper script, but that's also
undesirable, because I like to use kppp for its nice accounting
options.  It would also break with demand dialing, which I'm trying to
implement soon.

Yet another option would be putting the `fetchmail -d 300` stuff into
.bash_profile, but that is also undesirable, because then fetchmail will
try to fetch mail even if I'm not on the net.  It will also not work if
I set up a local PPP server that gets its mail from various POP accounts
and makes it available for some Windows machines on the local network.

So what I want is this:
- fetchmail automatically starts if I get online
- stays in daemon mode as long as I am online
- automatically terminates when I go offline
- reads its information from a user file and not
  from root's .fetchmailrc
- this has to work with several users and with several
  accounts for each user (different login/passwort)

I looked into the FAQ and into the man page, but didn't find any
applicable information there.  Any ideas or URLs where such a system is
outlined?

If this is not possible, at least I like to have a system where
fetchmail is started in daemon mode on boot up and still reads its
polling information from user files and not from root's .fetchmailrc.

MfG, Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
E-Mail:		mailto:rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de