Re: postfix help

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 06:55:01PM -0500, Dave Bateman wrote:
> I saw from earlier postings that quite a few of you are using postfix.
> I've been using netscrape for e-mail
> and a recent bout with X convinced me that I should set up e-mail
> "properly".
>     I managed to get postfix on my machine and exim off, but I could use
> a hand configuring postfix.
> My machine is strictly dial-up, so I downloaded fetchmail (will that
> work w/ postfix? suggestions?).
>     I think I have fetchmail set up OK, eg;
>
>             ~/.fetchmailrc
>
>             bash-2.04$ cat .fetchmailrc
>             poll pop.mindsprind.com protocol POP3 username batemand is
> dsb password xxxxxxx fetchall

Good.  I have fetchmail in my /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ so the mail gets
checked each time I go online.  This takes some tweaking of the
config file as this script is run as root and the mail would get sent
to root.

>     Is there a configuatorer/magic pill that sets up postfix, or am I
> going to edit main.cf/master.cf by hand?

No configurator.  I also have a dialup and I use postfix's "trivial
rewrite" (I think that's what it's called) to rewrite pat@localhost
to pat7@gmx.net.  If you want, I can send you my config files.

>     Same question about mutt, will it work w/ postfix/fetchmail? edit
> .muttrc?
>
>     Seems like a-lot of work compared to netscrape, but then, when X
> goes down and your only help is
> this mail-list...well, you get the point.

If you set up postfix, you should be able to send mail with netscape
by using localhost as your smtp server.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

If puns were deli meat, this would be the wurst.