Re: postfix help

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 06:55:01PM -0500,
Dave Bateman <batemand@mindspring.com> wrote:

>     I managed to get postfix on my machine and exim off, but I
> could use a hand configuring postfix.

Even though a little config script hasn't been written for
postscript (like they have for smail and exim), it's simple to
set it up for a dial-up machine.

If your computer has a valid hostname (for example, you've
registered with DynDNS or a similar service), then you might want
to set the myorigin variable to your fully qualified domain name,
and use your email program to set the proper From: header (more
below). Add the following lines to the bottom of
/etc/postfix/main.cf:

myorigin = <your fqdn> # /etc/mailname should contain the same name
relayhost = <your ISP's mail server>

That's it!

>             bash-2.04$ cat .fetchmailrc
>             poll pop.mindsprind.com protocol POP3 username batemand is
> dsb password xxxxxxx fetchall

This looks okay. Have you tested it?

>     Same question about mutt, will it work w/ postfix/fetchmail? edit
> .muttrc?

It will work fine with fetchmail and postfix without any changes
to the configuration, though you will almost certainly want to
configure some things to behave the way you want rather than the
way the maintainer wants.

>     Seems like a-lot of work compared to netscrape, but then, when X
> goes down and your only help is
> this mail-list...well, you get the point.

Not nearly as hard as it looks :).

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
 necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
 going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as
 they fly overhead."
 --RFC 1925