inn2: innd won't start

I am trying to get inn2 to work, if only in the default local groups config
that the deb comes set up with.

My problem is that innd is failing to start and failing in such a stunningly
silent fashion that I cannot figure out what the problem is!

I have gone through running news.daily and inncheck and those caught a few
things, the odd permission and ownership here and there, but I am stumped as
to how debug this critter. Is there anywhere, for instance, I can stick in a
'--verbose' arg to let me see what's happening?

I don't get any(more) mail from inn and I don't see anything at all in the
logs. I do believe that a /var/run/news/innd.pid has yet to see the light of
day at all...

Tia for any light that can be shed.

--
Bob Bernstein                  http://www.ruptured-duck.com