emacs20 install problem

I get the following error on a potato system:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Setting up emacs20 (20.6-2) ...
emacs-install emacs20
install/elib: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs20
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/elib: cd:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elib: No such file or directory
install/elib: install Info links for emacs20
install/elib: byte-compiling for emacs20
cp: /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elib//*: No such file or directory
emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/elib emacs20
failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 28.
dpkg: error processing emacs20 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
 emacs20
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall
again
Press enter to continue.

I have tried purging all emacs stuff and reinstalling, but nothing is
working.  I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu