Re: Netscape on low-mem system (was Re: X on a 486)

kmself@ix.netcom.com writes:

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 06:46:07PM +0200, Atila Nemet wrote:
> > AN> Unfortunately I have only an old 486 PC on 120MHz. Is there
> > AN> window manager which is low on system resources so I
> > AN> could set up X on this 486?
> >
> > From, the help I've got, it seems that the problem is not with the
> > window manager itself (since there are people who are using X with various
> > window managers on weaker machines), but with the programs I use.
> > I have set up fvwm and it ran quite ok. as long as I was using some
> > little applications, but when I started Netscape. It lookd like the
> > time had sopped. Would a memory upgrade help in this case?
>
> Yep, that'll do it.
>
> My suggestions:
>
>  - w3m or lynx -- console-mode browsers.  Also "links", though I don't
>    care for it as much.

+ w3 (browser within emacs. very slow, though)

>  - Both Gnome and KDE have HTML browsers -- the KDE file manager (kwm)
>    and the Gnome Help Viewer (??).  You'll need some of the
>    corresponding KDE/Gnome support, but you don't need KDE or Gnome per
>    se.

besides gzilla (www.gzilla.com ?), there is also
mnemonic (www.mnemonic.org). It requires multi-threading, so you need
to have glibc 2.1.x (potato)

try running "top":

on my non-debian system, sendmail and apache were running, which wasted
lots of memory. Look for all kinds of servers.

--
Felix Natter