xisp and kppp and gnome-ppp and ...

I am trying to make these packages working for a non root user.
I added the user to the group dialout and dip and the user
can log to the provider with pon and logout with poff but...
He cannot read the log file fo a problem of permissions.
Is there a clean way to solve the situation?
And if the same user tries to use xisp or kppp or gnome-ppp
it does not work apparently pppd get a modem hangup. I installed
the peer file and so on but I have no idea for the solution
(of course I could do it as root but...)
Thank you very much
		Alberto