Re: Q: Gimp installs to .gimp-1.1x

"Jonathan Gift" <jgift@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm curious while Gimp 1.04 installs in my root directory as .gimp, why
> does Gimp 1.1x go in at .gimp-1.1x? Anyway to have it just go in as

gimp 1.1.x is the unstable "branch". (1.2 will be released very soon)
it creates ~/.gimp-1.1 to enable users to install both 1.0.4 and 1.1.x
without interference.

> .gimp, I thought at first it wouldn't overwrite the original Gimp

it doesn't.

> directory so I removed it but the install repeated the directory entry.

with recent versions, you can specify a configure-option (only when compiling)
to specify a different user-directory (instead of ~/.gimp-1.1):
--enable-gimpdir=~user/.gimp

--
Felix Natter