Re: The Thrill of Debian Gnu/Linux

Colin Watson wrote:

> John McBride <jmcbride@networkone.net> wrote:
> >As soon as I got a base system working, I updated my sources.list and
> >used "apt-get update". It failed after retreiving the pkg files with an
> >E: message that some package names were too long. Presumably, my 2.1
> >slink CD has a version of dpkg or something that has some kind of path
> >length limitation.
>
> I don't see anything obvious in the changelog, but I might be missing
> something; it's worth asking debian-testing about this (in case it's a
> bug in potato too).

I had the same thing happen, I made a clean wipe (I got all twisted up with helix)
and tried to
"apt-get update" to unstable and I got an error saying something about a package name
being
to long. After going to frozen then to unstaable the error didn't occur. The first
time I upgraded
to frozen I got kernel-image-2.2.12 automgically, but that didn't happen this time.
Is the kernel
version for potato still up in the air?

<snip>

Later,