Re: The Thrill of Debian Gnu/Linux

Carl Fink wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 02:16:45PM -0700, John McBride wrote:
>
> > You'll visit the debian.org site approximately 3,596,391 times finding
> > out what package provides a command you need...since apt-get doesn't
> > have "what-provides" or query options.
>
> It should, I grant you, but have you tried "dpkg -S"?

No, I actually haven't, being new to debian, and not the most patient of
people when it comes to reading throgh reams of install docs and man
pages. But thank you for the quick reply. After installing xserver-vga16
and running XF86Setup, I now have a full woody install, at the proper
resolution, and helix-gnome appears to be working fine.

The only issue remaining is that when I login through gdm as root, I get
the sawfish wm but no gnome desktop. If I long in as a regular user,
everything is fine.

Thanks for the -S tip; even though I poked fun at the install process,
I'm pretty happy with everything.

---
John