no ppp after update potato

Hello again guys, I've been away from this group for a while, sorry if this
problem was posted before.

I just did a potato update on my notebook and afterwards I couldn't connect
to my ISP with pon/poff. pppconfig doesn't recognize my cardmodem anymore
which used to be /dev/ttyS1. I reinstalled pcmcia support, but to no avail.
I noticed setserial was updated, so what's up with that? Or is it something
else? Please help because without my modem I can't install new software.
Thanks, Hans