Re: umask

Andrew McRobert wrote:

> hi all
>
> When a user creates a new directory/file in their home directory, the setuid
> bit is always set for group members, ie.
>
> drwxr-sr-x
>
> umask = 022, what do I need to set it to, for new files to = drwxr-xr-x ...
> and is this ok security-wise ... the execute bit?
>
> thanks
>
> Andrew

I'm not very good with numeric file modes.  I usually use symbolic but I
think the permissions you want would be 755.  Assuming that is correct
you subtract that number from 777 to get the unmask number--
777-755=22 so the unmask value would be 022 which is what it already
is.  Maybe I have the file mode wrong or something but maybe this will
give you enough to figure out what you want.  I have no idea about the
security of the permissions.
hth,
kent