Re: PacBell DSL and Linux

Pollywog wrote:

> Has anyone been able to set up DSL (PacBell, specifically) without recourse
> to any OS other than Linux?  I believe PacBell's DSL requires the first login
> to be via a Windows machine.
>
> --
> Andrew

Andrew, it's quite easy to set things up, at least with the "Basic DSL"
account:
	- install pppoe.deb
	- configure the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf
	- include your login username and password in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
	- add your username to /etc/pp/peers/dsl-provider
	- modify /etc/init.d/network by substituting 'dsl-provider' every place
the file has 'provider'
	- touch /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot
Then you can start the connection with '/etc/init.d/ppp start' and stop
it with '/etc/init.d/ppp stop'. The README that is in the pppoe.deb
package explains all of this.

With a "regular" DSL account that gives you a fixed ip address, things
might work differently; I presume you don't need to use pppoe, but
that's beyond my knowledge horizon.

HTH.

Stan