Re: Building root filesystem as regular user

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:55:16AM +0200, Anton Emmerfors wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of building a small single disk linux for my
> firewall (and yes, I'm aware of the prefab alternatives, I'm just a
> DIY kind of guy =) and I'm wondering if there is a smooth way to
> build a filesystem as my regular login. As things are now I need to be
> root to give files proper perms. I'm looking for something like
> fakeroot but the other way around. Any takers? Or should I redirect
> this to the debian-boot list?

why can't you use a fakeroot shell to set the proper permissions and
then tar up the whole thing, tar will be fooled by fakeroot's lies and
your tarball will have the proper permissions embedded.  if your
working on the target disk directly and don't want to mess with tar
when your already there, then i think being root is the only option.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/