network installer uses HTTP instead of FTP to load base2_x.tgz

hi-

 I'm not sure if this is the correct place to send this message.  I'm
not new to Linux, but I am new to Debian.

 While doing network installs (m68k arch at the moment), the installer
asks where it may find the base2_x.tgz.  The installer seems to only
know how to perform http transfers, and will not permit non-anonymous
download via ftp.  This results in several inconveniences to those
with local mirrors, such as:

 * the user cannot install from a local Debian mirror or cdrom image
   contained in a normal user directory.

 * the user must have root access on the local mirror, and the skills
   to create the necessary softlink from the /home/httpd/html
directory
   to the local ftp mirror directory.

 * the user must have root access to create the Debian mirror files
(or
   mount a filesystem such as iso9660) in the /home/ftp directory.

 * this is somewhat inconsistent in that the base2_x.tgz file is
   downloaded via http, whereas the .deb's are downloaded using ftp
(as
   far as I can tell).

 As I am new to Debian, please let me know if I've overlooked some
fundamental Debian design philosophy.

 Thanks-

ron