Re: fetchmail with ssh

I couldn't telnet to smtp port 25 before, but now that I've changed that,
I still can't retrieve mail...

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, wtstacey wrote:
> I'd like to get fetchmail to retrieve my mail after I login to my ppp
> Eventually I want to set up fetchmail with ssh as described in
> /usr/doc/fetchmail/FAQ.gz. I tried what's described there with this rc
> file:
> 	set logfile .fetchmaillog
> 	poll hostname.org port 1234 via localhost with proto pop3 keep
> 	fetchall:
> 	preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:hostname.org:110 hostname.org sleep 20
> 	</dev/null >/dev/null";

I now get this:

$ fetchmail -v -v
Enter password for USERNAME@hostname.org:
fetchmail: 4.6.4 querying hostname.org (protocol POP3) at Mon Jun  5
07:45:03 2000
Enter passphrase for RSA key 'USERNAME@localhost':
fwd connect from localhost to local port sshdfwd-1234
fetchmail: POP3< +OK POP3 hostname.org v7.59 server ready
fetchmail: POP3> USER USERNAME
fetchmail: POP3< +OK User name accepted, password please
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox open, 2 messages
Waiting for forwarded connections to terminate...
The following connections are open:
  port 1234, connection from localhost port 1024
  fetchmail: selecting or re-polling default folder
  fetchmail: POP3> STAT
  fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2 3779
  fetchmail: POP3> LIST
  fetchmail: POP3< +OK Mailbox scan listing follows
  fetchmail: POP3< 1 1870
  fetchmail: POP3< 2 1909
  fetchmail: POP3< .
  fetchmail: 2 messages for USERNAME at hostname.org (3779 octets).