Re: Boot Windows with LILO

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 05:56:09PM +0200, Francois Fayard wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to boot linux and w95 on my computer with LILO
> I have
> /dev/hda1: /boot
> /dev/hda2: Windows (I have untared  the win98 partition I've previously saved on a CD-R)
> /dev/hda...: linux partitions
>
> Here is my lilo.conf:
> boot = /dev/hda
> delay = 20
> timeout = 500
> prompt
>   default = Linux
>   vga = normal
>   root = /dev/hda5
>   read-only
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> image = /vmlinuz
>   label = Linux
> other = /dev/hda2
>   label = 98
>
> I've marked bootable /dev/hda2
> And LILO tells when I choose 98 to run that this is not a bootable hard drive.

I can see two problems with your system.
1) Windows is not Linux, if you untared your saved Windows partition it
   can't be bootable. The tar/untar sequence does not preserve the physical
   files placement, and some files are expected to be found on the
   particular locations...
   Take the Win98 rescue floppy, boot your system from it and then execute
   the following:
   A:> sys a: c:
   HOWEVER, be sure that you have a working linux rescue floppy, because
   Windows may overwrite the MBR on /dev/hda, and your LILO will disappear.
   In this case you'll need to restart your Linux from its rescue floppy
   (remeber to add "root=/dev/hda1" option) and rerun lilo as root.
2) I'd suggest adding the "table = /dev/hda" line at the end of your
   lilo.conf (see "man lilo.conf" for details).
--
					HTH
	                      Wojciech M. Zabolotny

http://www.opendvd.org  Don't allow others to decide what can you play on
                        YOUR hardware, and what OS you need to watch DVD!!!