MTA and popper question

Which MTA is easiest to install? I need to setup a machine as a
relay-machine that sends its mail when internet connectivity is given
(like from ip-up). Just the way sendmail does with "sendmail -q", but
only for outbound mail, not destined for the local imaginary domain.
Having used sendmail before, I was able to set up that, but only with
some special sendmail.cf-generating scripts as it would be too hard

Also, if I wanted to allow for clients to fetch their mail from this
relay server, what do I need to install and setup? (Is it popper or so?)
This machine and the LAN is in some virtual unreal domain, namely