Re: OT: named cache

I've never seen any disk usage for anything other than master zones on
the seven nameservers I run, if that's any help.

Without having looked at the source, it would appear that named writes
some temporary files during zone-transfers, and can be configured to
dump statistics in a database-like format file.

Other than that, the cache is not using hard disk space at all, as far
as I can tell.

I'm in the process of building a CD-ROM boot disk that has a live Debian
filesystem on it and logging cranked down with logrotate aggressively
rotating off the logs ... that all runs from ramdisk as a test of how to
create cheap caching-only/forwarding nameservers.  I'll put up a URL
here in -user once I have it working if anyone wants to play with it.

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>