Enlightenment & Xfree problems

I am noticing several problems with all things X on my
potato system.  Namely:

In enlightenment, I can't seem to get any of the
themes apart from Brushed Metal & BlueSteel to work.
Any other I have tried has come up with errors such as
no title bars, and not being able to use any of the
menus.

Ditto for gnome.

In apps like gmc, I don't get scrollbars in the
right-hand pane window.  This is very annoying whilst
trying to navigate around.

This is just my inexperience, but if I'm starting up
through xdm, which file and how, do I get 32 bit
colour instead of 8bit?  I've tried xf86setup, but I
can't get it to work for me.

Finally, in some places the fonts are a legible size.
Other places the font is so small, it is hard to
distinguish.

I would be grateful for any help to any of these
questions.

Regards,

Robert Martinovic