The clever people get a red smartie

Hey xdm expert, why does xdm not work with authorisation true?

I have had this problem since a recent upgrade of xdm, namely xrdb and xmodmap
cannot get authorisation to run, xdm never reads Xresources, Xsetup, etc. and so I
never get my old login window and neither can I login to my X session (it
momentarily hangs with blank screen after I enter my password and then returns to
a refreshed login window).

If in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, I set

	DisplayManager._0.authorize:    false

rather than true, then no problem. However, this was not the case before the
xdm upgrade, and it seems like an arbitrary hack that only solves the symptom (or
is that the true definition of a hack?)

Jord

P.S. For those who live where it gets cold in the north, a smartie is the
Australian equivalent to an m&m.