From: David Wright [mailto:d.wright@open.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 1:01 PM
To: John F. Davis
Subject: Re: /var/log/wmtmp

Quoting John F. Davis (davis@skink.net):
> Hello

Hi. Can you send rather than replying, as you've actually threaded
onto an off-topic subject.

> I have a huge /var/log/wmtmp file and I need to delete it in order
> to get some free disk space.

I take it that's wtmp. S'funny, mine's rotated already.

> Can I just delete the file?  Is there a way to clear it correctly?

You could run the appropriate command that you will find in
/etc/cron.monthly/standard which your system may or may not
be getting run automatically.

Cheers,