Re: potato install w/ aic7880

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 12:45:47PM -0700, Chris Baker was only
   escaped alone to tell thee:

> sjk <sjk@dredel.com> writes:
>
> > I am having a terrible time trying to get potato to install on a machine
> > with an aic7880 scsi controller. The current rescue.bin hangs at loading
> > sym53c416 - just after the aic78xxx mods. I have tried compiling a new
> > kernel with the options listed in the install doc - and the install
> > begins, but 1) it can't write the tmp keyboard config, and 2) the driver
> > script fails. I can't seem to mount any of the driver disks to update
> > the modules.tgz file - what file system do these disks use?? I have
> > tried re-writing them several times.
>
> Have you tried passing
>
> aic7xxx=noprobe
>
> as a parameter to the kernel?

No good, methinks.

The default slink kernel was so loaded with SCSI drivers that the Adaptec
2940 in my machine choked and couldn't write to the drives. Two versions of
aic7xxx-only kernels were announced on the Debian webpage to fix this. Does
potato suffer from this problem as well?

And may I compile a potato kernel on my slink machine BEFORE I upgrade,
assuming I update glibc and gcc?

--
i'm determined to stand, whether god  |=|  bedlam@concentric.net
will deliver me or not. -- bob dylan  |=|  www.cris.com/~bedlam