Re: zombies

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 09:40:21PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > that's wrong ...
> > if the parent process would exit, then it's children would be inherited by
> > init, which would make a wait() upon the sigchld it will receive, when the
> > child exits.
> > long-time zombies typically indicate a locked up parent process.
> >
> btw: for cron this is normal. it does not collect it's zombies very often.

I'm also finding several (1-3, usually) zombie processes every few days.
They are *always* associated with cron jobs.  Not sure what the problem
is, but I also had to split out some of my cron.daily and cron.weekly stuff
to get everything to run.

Any ideas for tracking down what's going wrong here?

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org