Re: Xconsole craps out after Potato-upgrade

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 03:47:53PM +0200, Vitux wrote:
> Previously (in slink, 4 days ago), Xconsole was run when
> launching fvwm. Now, it doesn't start automagically, and gives
> an error: Couldn't open console when I start it manually.
> I find it quite annoying; I've gotten used to keeping an eye
> on the modem when dialing and my ailing /dev/hdc (old WD
> drive).

The automatic running of xconsole was removed in 3.3.6-1, because it's
somewhat of a security hole (see
http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=yes&bug=40745). If
you want it back, you can either add your user to whatever group owns
/dev/xconsole or edit the appropriate file in /etc/X11/xdm/

--
  finger for GPG public key.