Dselect suddenly vanished from potato?

Hi Debs.
4 days since upgrade. Still trying to get used to all the new
stuff. Looks really cool, though, this far.
The strangest thing: Dselect has vanished! (or maybe just
crapped out?)
Normally, I would log in as root, type dselect, and off we go
installing stuff.
Now, I get "bash: dselect: command not found".
Ok, maybe there's some path been lost:
~#whereis dselect
Dselect: /usr/bin/dselect
Let's try it, then:
~#/usr/bin/dselect
bash: usr/bin/dselect: Input/output error

The really weird part is, I've used it just today to install
the mach64-xserver from which I'm typing this?! Along with
mach64 (which I chose to install) potato wanted to install
lots of stuff I'm not using, including emacs, xemacs, and a
german dictionary (I don't even speak german). I chose not to
install most of this, except for some gnomelibs and a few
other libs, which I figured might be important. Sorry I can't
tell you the exact names, I didn't write them down :-|
btw, this was my first run of dselect since upgrading.
Anyone? I was just getting to like dselect, weird as it is.
(kind of the way you like an ugly dog ;-P)
Best Regards
Vitux

--
"I'm not a crook"