Problem with latest Realplayer

After upgrading to the latest Realplayer (via realplayer_7.0.2.1_i386.deb),
I am now told "Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be
using it." on startup.  The audio device is _not_ busy, and other programs
can make use of the soundcard.  Realplayer fine before the upgrade.  I
haven't seen anyone else mentioning this as a problem, so I am at a bit of a
loss as to its cause.  Any ideas?
I'm using a GUS Extreme and the (commercial) OSS drivers.

--
Stig Are M. Botterli | Some men see things as they are and ask why.
samb@mo.himolde.no   | Others dream things that never were and ask why not.